Simpsons on the big screen

August 4, 2007

I’ve been to see The Simpsons Movie a couple of times at the cinema, and as expected the second viewing is still highly amusing, much in the same way watching a normal episode for a second time is. There’s something about programmes like The Simpsons and Friends which allow you to watch them over and over again without getting bored, and still being able to laugh at the jokes – no matter how old.

However, I have some series of both programmes on DVD, and I stick them in to watch in bed before going to sleep whenever I first buy the set on DVD, after that I rarely watch them again. Why? Because they’re on TV all the time.

I’ll possible buy The Simpsons Movie when it is released on DVD, and I’ll probably watch it after doing so – but I doubt there would be much repeat watching on it.

If it wasn’t on TV all of the time, as with Friends, would I bother watching them on DVD or would I simply just not care about them anymore? I think the latter.

Anyhoo, it’s very much worth seeing at the cinema – the Spider Pig aspect is rather amusing – and Green Day are of course fantastic.

Rhapsody only seem to have the song available if you’re in the US…so of course YouTube was the way to turn.

Green Day: The Simpsons Theme

The second time I went to see it I stayed for the whole length of the credits, so can tell you that there are 4 clips at the end during the credits. You should stay for the first three of them, especially the third, and then you can happily leave the cinema – the last clip is shown at the very end of the credits and is rather boring – so just go ahead and wait for the DVD at which point you can fast forward.

Comments

6 Responses to “Simpsons on the big screen”

1. Wavatar Karl on August 5th, 2007 8:15 am

Helen & I stayed right ’til the bitter end and watched all four of the extra bits.

The cleaners were fidgeting in the aisles, Alfie was beside himself with boredom but we stayed!

Glad to say it was worth it…

2. Wavatar Tah on August 6th, 2007 4:25 am

I watched all the way to the end. Also wasn’t impressed with the last little bit.

Loved the movie overall, though. It will be good for repeat viewing, though I don’t see myself going to the theater to see it unless I find a friend who hasn’t seen it yet and we go.

3. Wavatar murphyz on August 7th, 2007 12:04 pm

The lights in our cinema didn’t even come on until after the third clip had shown – which is always an indication that something is still going to happen that’s ‘part’ of the film.

Mxx

4. Wavatar murphyz on August 7th, 2007 12:06 pm

I only went to see it again as it was with different friends and I have a cinema pass so don’t mind going to see the same things again.

However, if if bought on DVD I’m not sure it’ll be a repeat watcher – simply because my DVDs of the series itself aren’t. I catch it when it’s on TV and that’s enough for me I think.

Mxx

5. Wavatar lism. on August 14th, 2007 8:28 am

Bugger, I meant to send you the Green Day mp3 last night – unless you managed to track it down? I bought the Spider Pig song off iTunes, but I think Jay has a DRM-free version if you want that as well.

PS Nice plugins! (Oh dear, that sounds a bit filthy…) I might have to nick those once I’m properly caught up.

6. Wavatar murphyz on August 15th, 2007 3:30 pm

I haven’t tracked it down yet – but then I haven’t really been looking either. michael @ murphyz.co.uk if you care to gmail to me 🙂

Thank ye, I wish I could say I did them myself – but what’s the point if someone already has taken the time and effort to do so. I do want to write my own plugin, but haven’t got a clue as to what it would be.

Mxx